Location: London, UK
Salary range: £27,000-£32,000 (plus commission)
Early applications will be prioritised.
Closing date 18th July 2022
A fantastic opportunity to lead a rights department at a fast-paced publisher with a varied publication list has become available. Watkins Media Limited is looking for an experienced rights professional to manage the rights across all our imprints (Watkins, Nourish, Angry Robot and Repeater).
The role will be working closely with the deputy managing director, creating and meeting budget forecasts. You will have demonstrable pitching and negotiating skills, and an in-depth understanding of global markets and trends. You will thrive in a busy team but be able to work effectively independently – a self-motivator who can make connections and maintain strong working relationships. Foreign language skills are advantageous but not necessary. You should be passionate about the books Watkins Media publishes. The role will be selling rights to frontlist and backlist titles across a variety of subject matter. You will be creative and solutions-driven with excellent communication skills.
– Selling rights across a variety of territories – working directly and with co-agents
– Submitting relevant titles to co-agents and close contacts
– Formulating the rights budget
– Forecasting rights sales for upcoming projects in editorial meetings
– Representing the rights department by conveying trends in international markets
– Negotiating deals from start to finish – submitting titles, negotiating the best possible
prices, drafting and signing contracts, invoicing, processing royalty statements
– Applying for foreign tax forms
– Planning and organising the company presence at London Book Fair and Frankfurt
Book Fair, with scope for other fairs as well as market trips.
– Scheduling and taking meetings at book fairs.
– Liaising with the production department, getting costs and schedules for co-edition
– Exploring alternative rights revenue
To be considered for this role, you will have 3+ years working in a rights department, you will be self-motivated and brimming with innovative ideas on how to boost rights revenue. You will have experience with both co-edition and license deals, as well as experience of various sub-rights (large print, braille, audio, dramatisation, serialisation). You must have excellent written and verbal communication skills and be adept at managing multiple projects at one time.
Please email Vicky Hartley your CV and cover letter at email@example.com with ‘Rights Manager’ in the subject line.